Thursday, 4 November 2010

Melbourne Cup Weekend 2010

The forecast wasn't looking good... rain, rain and more rain... but we braved the elements and headed to Echuca on Saturday 30th Oct for a weekend of camping over the Melbourne Cup Long Weekend.

We arrived at the campsite without any problems, set up and then the heavens opened... lucky I guess.  There was a teeny bit of stuff to do around the van so poor old Rob got pretty saturated, but such is the life of avid campers!!

OK, so once we got over the fact that it was going to be wet, muddy and a little on the cold side we started to enjoy ourselves.  As is always the case the kids had an absolute ball.  CJK and Riley hit it off from the get go and were such great little mates for the whole weekend.

Riley & CJK enjoying the rain, mud & puddles!!
I think CJK was Riley's 'seeing eye friend' given Riley couldn't see out of his raincoat hood!
We took the bikes so that the kids had something to do as I knew we wouldn't be spending the day down at the beach with the boat!!  Of course when Mummy says "don't ride your bike through the puddles" what's the first thing CJK did??  *shaking my head*  I should have known better!!  I'm not sure if you can see the mud caked onto the back of his shorts but needless to say he went through the puddle, got stuck in the middle and fell off into the puddle!!

A very boggy bum after falling off his bike and into a puddle!
But it didn't rain the WHOLE time.  JMK got to go out on Uncle Brad's boat for a spin.  She also went for a biscuit ride which I missed out on seeing - SOOOOOO disappointed - because I was in town tracking down some gumboots for CJK!!  Even though I didn't get to see it I was very proud of her.


 Of course when you're camping it doesn't matter if the weather is good or bad, you can always sit around the fire and enjoy being mesmerised by the flames or just warming your toes.  JMK had the perfect spot!
  
JMK enjoying the camp fire
 And what good is a camp fire if you don't use it to roast marshmallows!!  CJK wasn't too keen on the idea and was happy to eat his marshmallows UNroasted but JMK got into the spirit of it and cooked up a storm for herself and Mummy!  She did a good job too... not underdone and not overdone... just PERFECT!



As is always the case the weekend was over in the blink of an eye.  Apart from being a little soggy at the start it was a great weekend and we're all looking forward to heading back over the Christmas holidays.  Fingers crossed the weather is on the warmer side!

2 comments:

Bindi-Jane said...

Of course the weather will be just perfect over Christmas...I am glad I am not the only one who says "don't ride through the puddles...."....only to have Brodie do exaclty what Cooper did...!!!...boys.....

Kirsty said...

You are braver than I thought - well done to you! Photos are great but I especially love the one of Jorja enjoying the camp fire - she looks beautiful!