Tuesday, 6 December 2011

Worry Dolls

I have come across the most amazing little concept which I am quite excited about giving to JMK.  As most people who know JMK would know, she's a bit of a worrier.  About 6 months ago she was already worrying about sharks attacking the Spirit of Tasmania for our trip over to the Apple Isle.

I was talking to a friend on the weekend and she was telling me about these Worry Dolls.  They come from the Central American country of Guatemala.  They are made from tiny pieces of wood and scraps of cloth and thread.  Long ago, the children of Guatemala made these dolls, and when they went to bed at night, they would tell a worry to each one before placing them under their pillows and going to sleep. In this way, they would wake up in the morning feeling much less troubled.

JMK's Worry Dolls

To this day, children in Guatemala trust their dolls to take away their worries as they sleep, and this custom has now spread around the world.

There's a little piece of paper inside the box that has this little rhyme on it...

Here are some tiny people for you to keep.
So you can have a good nights sleep.
Put them under your pillow when the day is through.
and let them do all the worrying for you.

Along with the Worry Dolls is a book that refers to the dolls and shows pictures of them, it's called Silly Billy.



I plan on giving the book and the Worry Dolls sometime this week to JMK to help her through her worrying times.  I think it's a wonderful idea... don't you?

I'll let you know how it all goes.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I use these heaps with kids at school and they work great with the Anthony Browne book. I hope they help your little girl. There are also great cards to boost self esteem called strength cards for kids...just to let them know how good they are.